News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Red Blood Cell Destruction

hemaq - Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am

My GP ordered blood work after I presented with strange symptoms: petechiae (about 30 spots suddenly appearing), night sweats x 4 mos, tinnitus (chronic-1+yrs.). I have also developed a sensitivity to alcohol, which causes flushing and discomfort at the base of my neck and sometimes in the groin.I am a 29 yo female.
CBC came back normal except MCH was high at 33pg and RBC was low-normal at 4.33. ANA is negative as is rheumatoid factor. Bleeding times were normal. The results of the other battery of tests are as follows (in mg/dL):
Albumin 4299
Transferrin 233
Prealbumin 27
CRP <0.32
Orosomucoid 54
Alpha-1 antitrypsin 179
Haptoglobin 38
Complement C3 89
Complement C4 21
Alpha-2 macroglobulin 250
Immuno-G 250
Immuno-A 862
Immuno-M 106
ApolipoproteinB 69
ApolipoproteinA-I 194
Total Protein 6.8 g/dL
Mole Fraction 903
Iron 105 ug/dL
% Transferrin Saturation 44%

Lab comments: "lab evidence of slight non-complement dependent in vivo hemolysis as indicated by relatively low haptoglobin level. Modest polyclonal elevation of IgA suggests mucosal immune response." My doctor explained to me that the test results suggest that by RBCs are being destroyed prematurely, yet the other tests say I'm not anemic, so my body's keeping up.

The other strange thing is that my GP told me there was evidence of "organic alcohol compounds" in my blood. I don't seem to have the lab report that confirms this, so I don't know anything else about that except that my GP said that it might
suggest a liver problem processing alcohol.

She's referring me to a hematologist, but I honestly don't know what she suspects or even what questions to ask the hema. when I go. Can you perhaps give me a starting point re: possible diagnoses, questions to ask, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
 hemaq - Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:47 am

I should add now that I believe I have an enlarged spleen, as evidenced by a formerly (4 weeks) occasional feeling like I had something stuck under my left ribs that has gotten more constant, and sometimes uncomfortable--almost achy.

How worried should I be about the possibly enlarged spleen--should I contact my regular doctor about it, since my hematologist appt. is only in 3 weeks, or should I wait and let the hematologist deal with it? Is an enlarged spleen dangerous? Can I get hurt if one of my three small children hits into me or if I strain wrong when lifting/carrying one?
 hemaq - Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 am

CAT scan was negative. Please respond to my questions as my hematologist appt. is coming up and GP has no clue as to what's going on...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here