News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High lymphocyte count

jade_brilliant - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Hello

I am a woman of 30 yrs. I have carried out some blood tests and the results are as follows:
HB: 11.6 ref(11.5-16g)
RBC:4.84 ref(3.8-5.8)
Haematocrit: 37.2 ref(38-47%)
MCV:76.8cu ref(78-96)
MCII:23.9 ref(27-32)
Platelets:435 ref(150-400)
WBC count:6.5 ref(3.5-11)
Lymphocytes: 50 ref(20-40%)
Monocytes:8 ref(0-9%)
I would like to have your opinion regarding the result. (I am quite worried about the high lymphocyte count) It would be of great help. Thank you beforehand.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 pm

User avatar I would not be concerned about your lymphocyte count. Your total number of white blood cells is normal. Even with 50% lymphocytes, your total absolute counts are normal. If you had a recent infection with a virus this may have cuased you to make more lymphocytes than usual.

I do notice that you have a slightly low MCV. This sometimes goes along with iron deficiency (although you are not anemic).

You may want to take a multivitamin with iron (an over the counter one would be fine) to help prevent iron deficiency anemia from developing.

Overall, I think your lab results are not concerning.

Best wishes.
 jade_brilliant - Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Dr,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have two children, a girl now aged 5 and a boy aged 4. Since my sister in law has been diagnosed with thalassemia, we have run some blood tests on the children and I am forwarding you the results. Can you please give me an indication whether you suspect thalassemia for them or not.

\RESULTS (boy):.
> The MCV of my son at 3 months old was 72. At three and
> a half years, the MCV is 75, hb 12.4, red cell
> count 5.0, but his blood film shows a slight hypochromia
> and few microcytes and also HBF negative and the HBA2 is
> 3.4. (However on the same day the blood film was done in
> another lab and the result was normocytic and normochromic)
>
> RESULTS (girl):
> My daughter's MCV is 79, hb 12.2, red cell count 4.7 ,
> blood film is normocytic and normochromic, HBF negative
> and the HBA2 3.3. However one month earlier her MCV was
> 73.3, hb 11.9 and rbc 4.9.

My husband's CBC results are all within range and electrophoresis was normal. My CBC result, i have already forwarded and electrophoresis is normal.

Can you please help me with the reading of these results.
Thank you beforehand for your considerable help.
 krs2799 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:20 am

For the past 50 days, i was suffering from Severe Allergy in my whole body, indications like big bubbles and large patches in red color. This occurs in severe at the night, i feel that a mosquito is bitting but there is not even a single mosquito.

These kind of irritations i can feel in my whole body, After my patience i am rubbing that place that happens to be in a big patch, day by day i can observe the difference in spreading, and now it spreads in my face too like if someone kick in their hand near the eye, my eyes slightly went inside and patches were big....

Kindly advice me. Is there any big things going to happen??? Pls help me to come out of this Allergy.

I also underwent the blood test after doctor advice, the following are the results:

1. Haemoglobin - 14.1 gm/dl
2. Total white cell count - 6.500 /cu mm
3. Differential white cell count:
a. Neutrophil - 46 %
b. Lymphocyte - 50 %
Are the LYMPHOCYTES will be the issue for all my Alergies, It is out of the Normal range (16-45) But in my case of blood result it shows 50.

Kindly get me your suggestions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here