News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: PLATELETS:SLIGHTLY INCREASED IN NUMBER+ RARE LARGE PLATELETS

twistedly - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 pm

DIFFERENTIAL
WBC 12.5 (4-12) FLAGGED H
RDW 11.2 (11.5-14.5)FLAGGED L
PLATELET COUNT 554 (142-424) FLAGGED H
GIANT PLTS 1+
ALL OTHERS IN NORMAL RANGES

PATH
WBC 12.5 X 10
RBC 4.33 X 10
HGB 14.6 G/DL
HCT 41.9 %
MCV 96.6 FL
MCH 33.8 PG
MCHC 35.0 G/DL
RDW 11.2 %
PLT 554 X 10
BANDS 1
SEGS 59
LYMPHS 30
MONOS 10

COMMENTS: RBC HAVE NORMAL MORPHOLOGY
WBC: SLIGHTLY INCREASED IN NUMBER, ALL WITH NORMAL MORPHOLOGY AND MINIMAL ABSOLUTE MONOCYTOSIS
PLT: SLIGHTLY INCREASED IN NUMBER WITH RARE LARGE PLATELETS

What do you conclude?

twistedly - Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:33 pm

39 yr old female, mother of 2. History of multiple miscarriage. Elevated WBC going back to 2005. Surgeries include apendix, gallbladder, and RAI thyroid due to Graves disease. Symptoms: petechiae, headaches, distended abdomen, acne, frequent stomach upset and heartburn, short light periods, orthostatic syncope (tilt table diagnosed), constipation, night sweats, extreem fatigue and sleepiness, exercise intolerance, thirst, and cognitive disturbances (word recognition, reading and word finding when speaking).

Medications: Paroxetine 20 mg, Levothyroxine 112 mcg and Protonix 40 mg twice/day.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
 twistedly - Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:09 pm

please reply physicians. my apologies if I did not post correctly
 twistedly - Thu May 10, 2007 10:36 pm

Well, I didn't get a reply but I have news. After my initial blood tests results came in, I got an acne cyst. It then swelled my lower lip and under my chin into the glands. I was put on Clindamycin (sp) and the infection cleared up. I just had my blood work done again. My wbc's were 9000 so that was great! No Leukemia. My platelets are still up but no follow up is scheduled. My endo. is enthusiastic so maybe he will look into it. I thought this info would be helpful to those with elevated wbc's to know that antibiotics might be a first course of treatment.

All the best to you all,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here