News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Varicose vein on the finger?

laan - Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:14 am

My dh has such beautiful hands and about 2 month ago he noticed that on the middle finger, right where it bends the vein swelled. Now it is looks like a lump and it doesn’t hurt him. It is just always there and looks ugly. It is the size of the pea and he can bend the finger fine, there is no pain or discomfort.
What could it be and what should he do besides go to see the doctor?
He said that he should take a needle and prick it lol lol
I am scared he is gonna do it and he’ll bleed.
please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 pm

User avatar I would advise against the needle approach. :) This is unlikely to help and may cause scarring that could worsen joint mobility.

It sounds as if the vein has become blocked off for some reason. This may have initially been (or still is) a small clot in the vein or possibly a valve in the vein that has been damaged by some trauma causing it to be obstructive. This would cause a back pressure on the vein and result in enlargement.

I would recommend that he be seen by his doctor. There are often several treatments that can be tried. His doctor can determine which is the best for him.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here