News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Hemoglobns levels

elsa - Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Good day,

I am a female ,28 yrs, asthma patient. Recently my CBC shows:

hemoglobin 10.3, rbc 3.82, hct 33.3

My PCP ordered more test:
ferritin, vit b12, folic acid, iron +TIBC (All these came normal)

They repeated the hemoglobin two more times (11.2 and 10.7) and rbc and hct are still low.

My hematologist sis a bone marrow sample and a biosy.

I don't know what to think...
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 am

User avatar Dear Elsa Lynn,
Sometimes the concerns we have are seated in somewhat basic situations: At 28 years of age, is is entirely possible that your mildly low Hgb may be due to heavy menses. You did not mention if you happen to be having heavy periods. It may be of value to check your Hgb just before your next period if this is so, and then check it after your cycle is finished. This will let your physician know how much blood loss you are having. Has your tested level ever been much higher than 11.2? 12.0 - 15.2 is a typical normal range for Hgb in females.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here