Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Very Low WBC Recent Kidney Transplant

dclgwl - Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for your assistance. I am a 47 y.o. w/male from the US. I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 20 years, Hypertension for 12 and prior to the Kidney Transplant in 01/2007 high was treated for high cholesterol. Since the transplant my overall kidney function has been great! Creatinine 1.2, A1C 5.4 however, my WBC 1.9 , RBC 4.49, Lymph % 8, Phospherous 2.5 are all too low and my Calcium has climbed to 12.5! I am being followed by the director of nephrology training at a prestigious University Hospital and they are stumped after five inpatient stays for infections, viruses and fever 103.5. My BP has leveled off and I only take 2 12.5 mg of Metropolol now. Any suggestion as to possible cause and or treatment would be most appreciated. If, you have suggestions I could sent my meds.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 28, 2007 2:57 pm

User avatar I can't be of much help since my experience with kidney transplants is limited to only a handful of patient but I would recommend that you see an infectious disease specialist.

It is possible that you had an infection with something before the transplant (or caught it soon after) that the immune system was able to handle until you suppressed your immune system for the kidney transplant (a necessary step).

Things such as graft vs. host disease are not really thought of for solid organ transplants so I think this is unlikely.

Sorry I'm not able to be of more help.

|