News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: really concerned about to many bloody noses

CJ107064ever - Tue May 08, 2007 9:06 pm

My boyfriend, Jakob, he is 16 years old,male,and weighs 230 pounds. He constantly has bloody noses. Sometimes its like 4-5 times a day. I am really worried. We are not sure what could be wrong. We know it might be a dry nose and we are trying stuff for his nose so its not so dry. So far he hasnt had any. But, he has had really really bad bloody noses for almost all his life. I'd say for at least 8-10 years. Im wondering what could be causeing it. Like what are the possible reasons for it. I have searched for answers but havent found any. It couldnt be any type of a tumor or cancer could it? Im just very worried. He also has thin blood. Sometimes he can fill 4 paper towels full of blodd just from one nose bleed. I really hope nothing is wrong but im really worried. It would help alot if someone has any idea of what it might be. Thanks so much for reading and for your time. I really hope to find some answers.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 28, 2007 2:38 pm

User avatar As you have already suspected, one of the most common reason for recurrent nose bleeds is dry air. Using the nasal moisturizers generally will help this, but the trick is to use them enough. Often using the gel forms seems to work a little better than the sprays.

If this is not the cause there are a few other possibilities that are a little more common than the true rarities that can cause nose bleeds. First, the most common bleeding disorder is known as Von Willebrand's disease and commonly presents mostly with nosebleeds in men. It still isn't very common but can be tested for by a simple blood test.

Also, nasal polyps can present with recurrent bleeding. It seems less likely if the bleeding has been happening for 10 years. A thorough physical exam by his doctor can help look for these. If there is suspicion, a CT scan can be done.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here