News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Platelet Count in Older Woman

2dclark - Sat May 12, 2007 10:51 pm

I am a 59 year old female. My past history of health is very good. I have RLS and take Mirapex. I am somewhat fatigued and have lost about 10 lbs. this year probably due to stress.

I had a blood test three weeks ago. My platelet count is 1209 H(range 100-400). I am a little anemic. RBC is 3.6 L, RDW is 24 H, Hemoglobin is 11.6 L. Absolute monocytes - 140 L.

I am having a colonoscopy done on Tuesday. I have an appointment with a Hematologist next week. The GI Dr. wants a full iron count. My PCP said my iron and B12 were okay. I don't have any numbers.

The last year has been very stressful due to the illness and death of several older family members.

Thank you for any information.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 1:06 am

User avatar Platelets are an acute phase reactant, meaning that they go up during times of inflammation in the body. If you were recently sick it is possible that this illness drove your platelet count up. Seeing the hematologist will be helpful. It may also be helpful to check a few other inflammatory markers such as a CRP or ESR.

I would also agree that you should have full iron level studies. A low hemoglobin with a high RDW is most commonly due to iron deficiency.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here