Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Referral to a hematologist

Michigantrekkr - Sun May 13, 2007 10:49 am

I am 45 years old male. I had a routine CBC done a few weeks ago, the results showed a slightly low iron count (14.0?). (My doctor says they like to be at 15.0). He said everything else was came back normal. I had a second blood test for ferritin, b12 and folic acid. My doctor says everything came back normal except I am slightly high on total serum protein (8.3?). (He says they like to see a 7.5). According to my studies on the internet, both percentages fall within the normal perameters. He also had me do a urine test (the one with checking under micoscope?).....it came back with no protein (completely clean is what I was told) in the urine.
My question is he wants me to see a hematologist for the slightly low iron and the slightly elevated protein serum. I am so scared, so much that I have been having trouble eating and sleeping since I found out that a hemotologist is a cancer specialist. This has also triggered panic attacks. I contacted my doctor, and he assures me I shouldn't worry about having any cancer, that he just refered me to the hematologist for the anemia. He prescribed Xanax for the panic attacks. I have no family history of any type of cancers, that I know of.

P.S. I have been taking an 81 mg aspirin daily for heart attack/stroke prevention and I do not eat alot of foods that has iron (I don't eat much of a breakfast or lunch but I do eat red meat for dinner). I drink alot of milk, but I drink 2%, which has 0% iron. Could this be a cause of my blood numbers?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 13, 2007 7:55 pm

User avatar I suspect that the 14 number you refer to may be your hemoglobin level. As you say, both your hemoglobin level and your total protein are really within normal limits although "normal" limits vary from lab to lab.

While you are correct that hematologists generally are oncologists (cancer specialists) as well, they do see people with blood disorders that do not have cancer.

I suspect that the hematologist will tell you that all is well and there is nothing to worry about. You may want to take a daily multivitamin with iron to increase your iron intake. Avoid drinking milk shortly before or after taking an iron supplement as milk can decrease absorption of iron.

|