Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained Vein Burst in Leg

xsgenefuzz - Tue May 15, 2007 1:16 am

I am a 29 yr old female. Yesterday, a blood vessel in my right leg burst for no apparent reason. It burst in two places. The larger burst is on the outside of my leg a few inches below the knee, the smaller secondary burst is right at the bend of the knee but not behind the knee. I am assuming that it is a vein b/c I have always had a visible, close-to-the-surface vein right in that area. I have several visible veins, but they do not look like vericose veins (i.e. they are not bulging or painful). The burst was preceded by a sharp, localized stinging sensation (I thought I was being bit by a mosquito).

The same thing happened about five years ago in the same place on my left leg. That first one was worse - it left a larger pool of blood under my skin anyway - and it was preceded by an itching sensation. It healed in about a week, and I didn't pay it much mind. I thought it was a random, freak, one-time occurance. But now that it's happened a second time...

I have no known history of blood clots. In accord the rest of the women in my family, my bp is on the low side and I am almost always slightly anemic. My father had a mild heart attack several years ago, but after losing some weight and bringing his cholesterol and stress levels down, he is now in peak health. I am mostly vegetarian, but I do not know what my cholesterol level is. I am a light smoker. I used to be a heavy drinker and marijuana smoker, but I have been clean now for almost two years.

I am not on any medications, per se, but I do take a daily multi-vitamin and extra B vitamins (being a smoker). I also take oregano oil, cloves, DHA (fish oil), and probiotics to control systemic candida overgrowth.

Other unexplained symptoms that may or may not be connected include mild peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness in my hands and/or feet that comes and goes, sometime lasting a few minutes, sometimes lasting for hours), swelling in my hands, feet, and ankles (esp in hot weather and if I've been walking or sitting for long stretches), itchy skin (esp my buttocks and the tops of my thighs), and migraine headaches accompanied by sudden drop in body temperature.

Could these things all be related? Are the burst blood vessels really something I should worry about?

Thank you for your time and consideration. I and my husband do not currently have health insurance, so I really need to know if this is something I can let slide or not before I shell out a bunch of money for office visits and tests. Thanks again!
 Marceline F, RN - Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:41 am

User avatar Dear xsgenefuzz,
Everything you describe seems to be rooted in a fairly serious systemic problem that deals with both your arteries and your veins. Your arteries are the vessels that carry blood away from the heart and feed life promoting nutrients and oxygen to the rest of the body: brains to toes! Veins are the vessels that carry blood from the outer-reaches of your "planet" back to the heart and lungs to be cleansed and re-energized. There are two similar conditions that affect these vessels: PVD and CVI. PVD is peripheral vascular disease and refers to a problem with the arteries of the body, inhibiting their ability to carry blood effectively to its destinations. CVI is Chronic venous insufficiency and similarly adversely affects the veins ability to carry blood back to the heart and lungs. With arterial insufficiency you will get the tingling and paresthesias you describe. With venous insufficiency you get dependent swelling in you feet and legs. Varicose veins are ones that happen to sit close to the surface - enough so that if the flow through the veins is compromised these vessels can swell enough that if fragile will burst - just as you describe.
I would heartily recommend that you seek health insurance and then through your assigned primary physician arrange the proper medical diagnostics and treatments to protect you from possible serious complications associated with PVD and CVI.
 hapstress - Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 pm

I know this was two years ago for you that you felt your vein burst in your leg, but what ever resulted from it. It sounds almost IDENTICAL to what happened to me today and I'm not sure what to do! I was working hard cleaning the floor, down on my knees then I felt like a rock under my knee. Well, I think my vein burst. It was on the outside of the left leg just below my knee and it was right along this big ol green vein that I've had for years that gets big when I'm pregnant. The big hardness went away within an hour but now I've got a big bruise and it is really tender. I'd love any advice you or anyone has. Thank you.

|