Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Body non-responsive to a tetanus shot.

Mutant1981 - Tue May 15, 2007 2:06 pm

I am a 25 year old male, I have no past surgeries and my family has not had this problem that I know of. I donate plasma once in a while. The plasma center I go to told me "giving you a tetanus shot is unecessary since you body is unresposive to it". I have recieved them since childhood. Why is my body not reacting to the shot anymore? Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:00 pm

User avatar I would first wonder why they determined that you are not responsive to the tetanus shot. I suspect they measure antibody levels and found that yours were low. This, in itself, does not mean that you are unresponsive to the tetanus shot.

To truly determine this, your antibody levels must be low then you should receive a booster dose of the tetanus vaccine. 2 weeks later, your antibody levels should be tested again.

The tetanus antibody levels normally fall in the body producing the need for boosters.

I'm not sure I would recommend that you not get anymore tetanus vaccines at this point.

|