News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated Hematocrit and Calcium Flucuations

arrigoar - Wed May 16, 2007 1:37 pm

I am a 25 yr. old male. Since September 2006 I have been having some weird lab results. My hematocrit has been consistently elevated around 50% and my calcium has been fluctating from high normal to slightly high. The calcium ranges from anywhere between 9.8 and 11. On last check in April, my calcium was 9.8. I have had every test under the sun. Pulmonary function test, JAK 2 mutation test, renal ultrasound, SPEP, UPEP, 24 hr. urine calcium, PTH (for parathyroid function), chest x-ray, sleep study, and kidney function tests. All of the tests are normal.

My PCP referred me to a hematologist, performed two phlebotomies and my hemoglobin is now 16.5 and my HCT is 50.9%. I really have no symptoms, except for some on and off back pain. I was concerned about bone pain and myeloma, but the SPEP and UPEP were normal and my PTH was normal as well. Plus, myeloma presents with anemia. The worrisome lab results are the fluctuating calcium, high HCT and at my last hematologist visit my albumin was elevated at 5.4. I think my doctors are stumped. I am thinking it is a parathyroid problem, even though my PTH was normal. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

T
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:19 pm

User avatar I'm not sure what to make of the hemoglobin/hematocrit elevation. If, by chance, you smoke or live at a high elevation you may have a higher hematocrit (HCT) as a compensation for decreased oxygen.

There are a few conditions known as polycythemias that can present with elevated HCT. I am less familiar with them as they are fairly rare. Your hematologist would be better able to advise you about these.

In regards to your calcium I think you may be chasing a "false" number. Total blood calcium is very much related to protein levels. If your albumin is elevated it will make your total blood calcium levels increase. The actual number of interest with calcium is the ionized (or active) calcium. Often, the total calcium will be low or high but the ionized calcium will be normal. I would recommend you have your ionized calcium level checked if there is concern.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here