Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: elevated WBC's for 2 years?

mar0107 - Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm

I need some help. Back in August of 2005 I had an emergency appendectomy (the appendix did not rupture). On the day I was supposed to go home from the hospital I developed a fever and my WBC went back up, leading my Dr to think I developed what he called a pocket infection . They started me on IV antibiotics and sent me home a few days later (I had to conitue the IV antibiotics at home for 1 week). After the IV's my WBC was still high so they had me continue on oral antibiotics and said that should clear it up. Now, almost 2 years later, I had bloodwork to check to see if i was anemic from heavy menstrual periods I was having. I am not anemic but the CBC showed a WBC of 14.3. One week later the CBC was repeated and the WBC was 13.8. I was referred to a hematologist who just ran bloodwork today (3 weeks after the last CBC was done) and my WBC is now 16.2. I do not feel sick and do not have any pain. The hematologist also told me that my neutrophils were high, it shows on the report as GRAN 10.3. He said he believes it is because I smoke (about 1 pack a day) and dismissed it at that. I asked about Leukemia and he said he did not see any leukemia cells on the smear. Do you think he is right? I know many other people that smoke and have had bloodwork, and they do not have a high WBC. Can it be anything else? This is driving me crazy!! I have another appointment with a different hematologist next week but I can't wait! Thanks in advance for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:35 am

User avatar The smoking may or may not be part of this, although I would be inclined to think this is not the case.

I can't give you any good reasons for your elevated white count but agree you are seeing the correct specialist to get the answers. I can reassure you that I don't think leukemia is likely since the white count has been high but stable for many months. (This isn't a 100% guarantee but makes leukemia very unlikely.)

Best wishes. I hope your next hematology appointment gets you some answers.

|