News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High WBC & High CRP, 37 wks Pregnant

Topcat35 - Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi,
Could anyone advice me, I am 36 years old and 37 weeks pregnant. Midwife unsure of these results = White blood cells 16.2 and CRP 38, though I have NO visable signs of infection, nor no symptoms.
My dad died age 53yrs from heart disease, and mum has heart disease (heart attack age 58 yrs, now 67 yrs old). Older brother and sisters have high cholesterol, Only family ill health.
Could these results just be because late pregnancy or should I request this is looked into further.
I apperciate your replies.
Tracy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 17, 2007 1:01 pm

User avatar Why were the CBC and CRP tested? If there was something to make one look at these tests they should probably be followed up on.

Generally, CRP's are not checked routinely during pregnancy (as far as I know). As such, I don't know what the effect of pregnancy is on the result; however, given it is a marker of inflammation I would not expect it to elevate.

I would recommend that you see your obstetrician for further examination/advise.

Best wishes.
 Topcat35 - Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Thankyou for the reply,
I had bloods done Due to low AFI (8.8) Dr. thought I was losing fluid, however, swabs came back normal and AFI now 13.6, which is great.
However, bloods came back as the white blood count 16.2 and CRP 38.
I only see midwife now until birth.
Thank you Tracy

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here