Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Referral to a Hemotologist

syntax - Fri May 18, 2007 11:23 am

Hello - I'm a 26 year old male. No past diagnoses, past surgeries. Family history of diabetes and minor liver problems (likely related to alcohol; not a problem for me). Current medications are Commit lozenges (4mg) as a smoking cessation aide.

I went in to my PCP for a routine checkup and the blood panel came back with low hemoglobin/low plateletes. The Dr. stated that I was "mildly anemic with low platelets". I work in a blood bank, and had someone look at my results and they noted that the Bilirubin count from my metabolic panel was unusually high, and that the tests indiciated that my RBCs are "small".

Other than that, nothing else was abnormal. I would consider myself healthy - 6'0" / 165lbs, low cholesterol/eat healthily.

The Dr. referred me to a Hematologist, and I go in on Monday next week. I'm slightly concerned about the low platelets (132 on a beginning range of 140) and the anemia. I can't remember the Bilirubin count, but it was at the max in the range (200 something).

Does anyone have any thoughts? What can I expect at the Hematologist?

Thanks,
M
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 2:53 pm

User avatar The most common cause of anemia is iron deficiency. There are other results in the CBC that can help determine the cause of the anemia. Your hematologist can help sort out the issue.

Your platelets are only very slightly low. I suspect this may be due to some mild bone marrow suppression from a recent viral infection or possibly normal fluctuation.

I would not be overly alarmed about your findings. The hematologist will likely want to repeat the CBC to see if the values remain low or if they have corrected. If they are still low, the hematologist will be able to sort this out for you.

syntax - Thu May 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Well, the hematologist ordered a battery of additional tests and another CBC. Turns out my platelets have now dropped to 129, and I'm still anemic.

They haven't yet received all of the tests back, aside from the CBC and the non-reactive on HIV.

I'm still highly concerned about leukemia/lymphoma/multiple myeloma/etc. Wouldn't my WBC count be higher than/lower than usual if something that drastic was suspected? My WBC count is still "normal" - 5.5/5.6 in the limits of 4.0 to 10.0.

|