News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: CBC 5 out of 14 levels off - Help!

jluvsja - Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 am

I'm a 37 y.o. female.

Diagnoses: High Blood Pressure (although low to normal now) Thyroid (high antibodies-other levels normal -last thyroid bloodwork 1 yr ago) & slightly enlarged w/ 2 small nodules - last ultrasound -3yrs)

Past Surgeries: Gallbladder (also removed bile duct & part of pancreas) Complete Hysterectomy (also bowel reconstruction-1ft of small intestines removed) Lypoma removed off back

Family History of Thyroid Cancer (brother-malignant & Mother-benign) & Hypertension (Mother, Father)

Current Medications: Estradiol 2mg, Celexa 20mg, Lisonipril 10mg (just reduced from 20) & every other night I take an Ambien to fall asleep. 5mg.

My Concern is my CBC results were:
WBC 4.60 (4.0-11.7)
RBC 3.83 (L) (4.2-5.4)
Hemoglobin 12.7 (12.5-16.0)
Hemocrit 36.2 (L) (37.0-47.0)
MCV 94.5 (78-99)
MCH 33.2(H) (27-31)
MCHC 35.1 (32.0-36.0)
RDW 12.8 (11.5-14.0)
Platelet Count 237 (140-440)
Neutrophils 39.5 (L) (40-75)
Lymphocytes 49.3 (H) (15-45)
Monocytes 6.3 (4.0-12.0)
Eosinophils 4.2 (0-6)
Basophils 0.7 (0-2)
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel - All normal levels

My concern is the Doctor wanted to test me for Anemia, but when I called to get the results the nurse said if there wasn't anything written on the report than everything was fine. If everything is fine than why are some levels off? I thought low RBC means anemia. Am I wrong? Should I do anything? I'm very confused. Please someone help!
I also told the Doctor I was slightly anemic (per OBGYN) during my pregnancy, which was 13 years ago.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 23, 2007 2:52 pm

User avatar All the values of your CBC that are abnormal are only very slightly abnormal. None of them are concerning to me.

Regarding your anemia, your HCT (hematocrit) and HgB (hemoglobin) are really the best indicators of anemia. Your hematocrit is borderline low.

I do not think there is anything serious going on. I do notice, though, that your MCV (a measure of red cell size) is on the upper limits of normal. Sometimes folic acid (or folate) deficiency can lead to an elevated MCV with anemia. You may want to take a multivitamin with folate in it daily to be sure that this is not an issue.

I would recommend that you have your CBC repeated in 6 months or so just to check up on it.

Best wishes.
 jluvsja - Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 am

Thank You Dr. Lowe!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here