News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Permanent blood blister on my lip - caused by a cold sore

somebody2007 - Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 pm

I hope I chose the right specialty. Hemotology made the most sense.

I had a cold sore, on my lip, a few years ago, and it left me with a noticeable blue dot, afterwards. It looks like a blood blister, but it hasn't gone away.

I don't know how to get rid of it. I've tried to use alcohol and a needle, to pop it, twice, but it still stayed.

Can anyone help. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 am

User avatar I can't say for sure without examining you directly but I suspect that the inflammation of the cold sore has lead to a change in pigmentation in the area due to the inflammation. This type of pigment change is common with inflammation and usually will subside over many months but not always.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about it the next time you are in for a check up. I would also not recommend that you try to remove it yourself as this may lead to infection.

Best wishes.
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:05 pm

I tried to drain it,yesterday, and now it looks like a blue blood vessel. It was a blue dot, about 2-3 mm in diameter. Now it's about 2mm by 7mm.
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I just read your post. I did use rubbing alcohol on the needle and that area of my lip. Since, it's longer, I am going to see my doctor about it.

Any ideas?
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 pm

I double-checked. It's only twice as long.
 somebody2007 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:09 pm

I assume that was all the advice that you have, so does anyone else know how I can get rid of it, or what it is?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:49 pm

User avatar Sorry for the delay in responding. From your latest description it may be exactly as you are saying. There may be a vein that is running close to the skin of your lip that you are seeing.

Seeing your doctor is a good idea just to double check things and see if there is a treatment that can help it go away.

Best wishes.
 somebody2007 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will do that, but I actually got another cold sore slightly below the blood blister, and it got infected, somehow. I went to the doctor today and got cephalexin. After my lip is better, I'm going to get the blood blister looked at.
 somebody2007 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:18 pm

I wish there was an edit command.

I know that it got infected after I sterilized my lower lip and the needle. I should have went to the doctor. I learned the hard way.
 somebody2007 - Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 am

I'm happy to say, after all of that, my blood blister is a lot less noticeable than the past many years. The doctor told me that I most likely popped it. It isn't gone completely, but I'm satisfied for now.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here