News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Long term persistant joint pain w/high wbc

WendyNY - Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Please bare with me, this is going to be long. I have been through the ringer with drs and can find no diagnosis or solution. I am in the middle of my 5th miscarriage, and believe some of this may relate to my repeated m/c history. I've already been to a rheum. & infect. disease spec. & have gotten nowhere:

20 year history of joint pain
Knees & hip in 20s
Hip in 30s, hands late 30s
Now 41 - concentrated in hands/wrists
Been through multiple IVF's
3rd IVF used steriods
joint pain worsened but not every day
After 4th IVF used a bovine colostrum supplement (immunoglobulins)
Severe joint pain every day for the past year since
Finger swelling (tissue between 2 joints)
Fluish for 2 mos./couldn't get out of bed for 2 wks.
Muscle aches
Burning pain sometimes radiates up mid lower arms

Tested neg. over & over for RA. Neg. ANA (repeated 3x)

Sed rate keeps going up, even when symptoms sometimes improve. Now at 60 mm (range <26) - taken pre-pregnancy

CRP high (4x acceptable level) though went down a bit last test

WBC has been slightly elevated past month on 2 lab tests

Neutrophils elevated

Only other thing that came up is I am positive for HLA-B27

I've got myself convinced I had some kind of reaction to the colostrum that brought some kind of pathogen out of hiding that has been causing my arthritis symptoms all along. Because after taking that things became amplified 10x. Rheumatologist doesn't know what's wrong. Thinks reaction to colostrum. All supplements that are suppose to help with inflammation I now have some kind of reaction to & they make things worse (fish oil, flax, seeds, nuts, etc). And even when I avoid, doesn't stop the joint pain. Oddly, during my pregnancy, my joint pain went away. Now that my hcg is relatively down, the joint pain has returned.

I'm at my wits end. I tried to convince rheum. to give me antibiotics to see if that helps. No one is on board, as I can see that most drs are reluctant to connect arthritis with bacteria. I posted this under the hematologist board, hoping that I would find someone more open minded. Any thoughts???

I don't know what speciality to go to anymore. I've lived with the intermittent joint pain for 20 years without really looking into it because it seems to be a trend with the women in my family. But now that it has worsened, I can't ignore it. And can't help thinking it may be causing my m/c's. I think I've done every test with the rheum. & she said she doesn't have a thing more she can test me for.

Thanks!
 WendyNY - Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Ack, I hope I didn't stump the dr.s here too.

Maybe you could answer these questions:

1. Does high sed rate/crp=sticky, viscious blood?? Something that would call for blood thinners during a pg?

2. Does high wbc/neutrophils indicate a marker for increased nk cell activity?

Thanks!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here