News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC results with symptoms

araya06 - Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Hello,

I am a 28 year old female and have had swelling in my throat near where I swallow for about 2 months. I have been given steriods which didn't work and then finally had an ENT scope my throat. His original thought was that I had an infection or ate something that scratched my throat. After the catscan he dertermined that I should have throat surgery.

The results were:

Right Piriform : Benign vocal cord polyp L

Left tongue base : Benign squamous epithelial mucosa with reactive lymphoid hyperlasia consistent with lingual tonsil. H

He then shared my blood results:

WBC 2.8L
Neutrophils 48.4L
Lymphocytes 44.2 H
MCV 31.8 H
MCH 15.2 H

I have had a negative ANA panel, HIV, Scroggins and rheumatoid arthritis test. I don't know where to go from here. I have soreness in my kidney area and I still have the throat swelling. I have lost 20 pounds since 06/08/07 and I am not sure I should return to my teaching job. My whole life is on hold and nobody has been able to diagnose me. I am planning on visiting a hematologist but am not sure if that is the appropriate next step.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:19 am

User avatar Hello Araya06,

I am suspecting that your ENT doctor wants to do surgery to remove the polyp. Depending on the size of the polyp or the lingular tonsil these could give you a full sensation in the throat.

Your WBC count may or, more likely, may not be related to your throat issue. Your WBC's are really only slightly low. If this is the first time they were low I would recommend that you repeat the test in 3-4 weeks to see if they have resolved. Even though they are techically outside the normal range, your neutrophils and lymphocytes really are still within the normal range. The MCV must be in a different set of units than I am used to since normal for me is usually 70-90. I suspect that both the MCV and MCH are only slightly off as well.

I would recommend you have your thyroid levels tested if you have not had this done. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss.

If you are having any GI type symptoms I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist for an evaluation given your weight loss.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here