Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Chronic low lymphocyte count

mag75 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:49 am

I am a 32 year old white female with a chronic slightly low lymphocyte count. For the past 5 years my lymphocyte level has ranged from low of 1.0 to high of 1.8. My current level is 1.32. My % is 24. The rest of my CBC is absoluteIy perfect. WBC count 5.6. I went to see my family doctor and he feels it is just normal for me and was not concerned. I tend to be very anxious about my health and would like to know your opinion about this. Is this something that I should see a hematologist for? Is it low enough to worry about? During the time that I have had these blood tests done I have had my self so worked up and anxious that I am wondering if the slightly low level could be due to stress? Possibly due to an increase in cortisol? I am looking just looking for answers for this slighlt abnormal result. I am not on any medications. Father has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:50 pm

User avatar Hi Mag75,

Your lymphocyte levels are low but not critically low. Given that it has been going on for 5 years, I strongly doubt any cancer cause.

Cortisol does cause a shift in WBC's towards neutrophils and away from lymphocytes so if you were very nervous it is possible that this contributed some.

I suspect that your doctor is correct about you just having slightly lower lymphocytes than the general population. If you are not developing recurrent severe viral infections or other infections I would say your immune system is working just like it should. Recurrent or rare infections is generally the first sign of an immune problem.

It is probably still a good idea to have a CBC done periodically (say every 6 months or so) just to be sure nothing new is developing but I strongly doubt anything will.

|