Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High rbc,hgb and hct

Squeaky - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:34 pm

I am a 69 yr old female.I had an annual blood test in April
and to recheck my cholesterol it was done again in June.
The cholesterol turned out to be ok, but the second test showed different RBC, etc. Here are the numbers

..... April 21 ...... July 10
RBC .... 4.58 ....... 5 .86
HGB.... 13.7..... .. 17.0
HCT .... 40.9 ..... 51.8

I had blood drawn for another test today. I am currently be treated for an infected tic bite. I evidently had it for several days before the test in July. Could this or anything else besides polycythemia be the cause of the jump?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:35 am

User avatar Hi Squeaky,

RBC count, Hemoglobin (hgb) and hematocrit (hct) are all essentially measures of the same thing-the amount of red blood cells in the blood.

There are several reasons your numbers may be increased. Polycythemia is one reason but cases of pathological polycythemia are rare. Other possible causes would be being dehydrated, being at lower oxygen levels (such as at higher altitude), or having a lung problem where less oxygen is able to get into the blood stream.

I would recommend you have your level tested again in the next few weeks to see if they have returned to normal. If you are having any lung problems I would suggest you discuss this with your doctor.

Squeaky - Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I did have another test and am happy to report I am back in the normal range.
Thanks again.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:38 pm

User avatar That's good to hear. Thanks for the update.

|