News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC and Elevated Bilirubin

ralphmcgee - Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:30 am

I just had a CBC and liver function test after my doctor noticed my eyes were slightly jaundiced.

The results came back with 1.8 total bilirubin, which she said was just above normal. She attributed this to "Gilbert's Syndrome."

The doctor said my CBC was completely normal, but when I inspected the results myself later, I noticed that my WBC count was at 4,100, when the norm is 4,500.

Should I be concerned about this? The WBC differential showed all individual WBCs within normal ranges:

Neutrophil 65.6%
Lymphocyte 24.8%

Is there any cause for concern here? Is there a possible connection between Gilbert's Syndrome and low WBC?

Thank you very much for your advice.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:41 pm

User avatar Hi Ralphmcgee,

To my knowledge there is no connection between Gilbert's syndrome and the WBC count. Gilbert's is a condition where the liver doesn't process bilirubin as fast as a "normal" liver. It causes the bilirubin level to be increased slightly and is generally harmless and incidental.

Your WBC count is really very minimally below the "normal" level. I suspect this is normal for you. Normal values are based on a bell curve so there is a small number of people that will still be normal and be below this "normal" cutoff.

If you aren't having any symptoms concerning for a low WBC count I would not be worried about it.

Best wishes.
 ralphmcgee - Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:26 am

Dr. Lowe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your help and information are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ralph
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:35 pm

User avatar My pleasure. Please feel free to visit our site again if we can be of any other help.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here