Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Full blood count and blood clotting factor test questions

countrygirl - Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:57 pm

I have had some mildy puzzling blood test results which no Dr seems to think are a problem but I would like explanation if possible.

I am experiencing gynaecology problems at moment with constant bleeding past 2 months most of time slight but occasionally very heavy. Am undergong tests soon for this.

I had a full blood count and iron store test in case the bleeding was making me anaemic but was surprised to get a result of hb level of 15.1 with 12-15 being normal plus slightly elevated red blood cell count only by 1.0. My iron store was normal.

I asked for a blood clotting test and again slightly odd result but only slight. INR was 0.98 when normal is 1.0.-1.1 . My fibrothingy was elevated by 0.3 and the other test in the group sorry can't remember waht is was was again elevated by 0.2.

I had a ultrasound scan of spleen to check not enlarged and it was perfectly normal.

I am worried that I have a tendency to blood clotting with these results although have been told the results are so slightly abnormal to not be problem.

I also can't understand how I can bleed as I am and have such a high/good hb level????
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:36 pm

User avatar Hi Countrygirl,

All your lab values are within the range of normal. Even though they are technically outside the established "normal" ranges by the lab, they are all so close that just the amount of variation in the testing could cause these numbers. I am not concerned at all by them.

Regarding your bleeding and your high-end normal hemoglobin this would indicate that your body is doing an excellent job compensating for the blood loss you are experiencing such that your body is replacing all the blood you are loosing without difficulty. You are likely getting enough iron in your diet to compensate for the iron loss.

I would recommend you be tested for a bleeding disorder called Von Willebrand's disease. This is the most common bleeding disorder that presents with mucosal bleeding. It most commonly presents in women as heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. It can be tested for by a simple blood test.

I do not believe you are at any increased risk of clotting based on these lab results. Again, they are all essentially normal.

countrygirl - Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:37 am

Thank you so much for your reply it was very reassuring to me.

I will ask my gynaecologist about testing for von willebrands disease at my next appt.

|