Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: is a blood test accurate at finding inflammation

tulip18 - Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:56 am

I was just wondering if the blood test i had to show inflammation is a very accurate source. i don't know why but im scared my pain may be serious even though the doctors found nothing... i'm scared of apendicitis or bowel obstruction even though im young...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:08 am

What was the name of this test? Tests used to assess inflammation include CRP, ESR tests among others and they are fairly accurate. A high total leucocytic count has been used to assess appendicitis.
 tulip18 - Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:10 am

im not sure what the test is called since it is in german but it is a test of my leukozytes and alot of other stuff in my blood ...
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:36 am

User avatar Dear Tulip18,

Thank you very much for the update.

i think may be you are confusing infection and inflammation and they are 2 different things. However, infection is a subtype of inflammation resulting from an infectious agent (bacteria, virus or other).

However, if the abdominal pain is still going on and an ultrasound of the abdomen has not shown anything, then i would suggest doing a computerized tomography (ct) scan of the abdomen as it detects things that ultrasound can't with great details.

|