Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: CBC + odd results

fairycakes - Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:49 pm

30 / F / 7 + dysplastic nevi biopsy results in the last four months/ Bunion, cyst, jaw surgeries / Strokes, Brain Anyurism / ADHD med.

I recently had blood drawn and the results came back with these abnormal results.

WBC - 2.5
Lymphs - 47
Nuetrophils (absolute) - 1.1

The doc wants me to wait a month and come back to re-draw. Said if the results were similar she would recommend a bone marrow biopsy. My question is why am I waiting a month to see if the results are the same to get a biopsy? If cancer is a possibility, wouldn't waiting 30 days give it even more time to do damage? I can't get answers from doc till the work week, and of course my brain is in overdrive trying to figure out what's going on. Any advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 pm

User avatar Hi Fairycakes,

The most likely reason for your low WBC count is a viral infection. Viruses commonly cause some suppression of the bone marrow leading to the low WBC count. This effect is temporary. I would expect that in a month your WBC count will be normal again.

If there were other abnormalities on the CBC, such as anemia or low platelets, or if you have other symptoms of a cancer it would be more appropriate to be more aggressive in the work up.

If cancer is present with no other symptoms, a delay of 1 month at this point is unlikely to cause any problems.

fairycakes - Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:49 am

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I have no other symptoms, in fact I'm healthier now than I have ever been. You have helped to ease my mind and I really appreciate that!
 fairycakes - Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:21 pm

I do have a few other questions for you if you don't mind.

Could the abnormal skin biopsies have anything to do with my WBC's being low?

Could excess exercise be the cause? I work out on average 17 + hours a week, only 2 - 3 of the hours are hard core workouts, the rest being yoga, pilates and walking.

Could irregular menstraul cycles be the culprit?

The reason I ask is because I haven't been sick, haven't had a fever, or anything else going on in the past few weeks. I've been tired, but I contribute that to my workouts and being back into the elementary / middle school schedules.

I had my blood checked almost a year ago and the WBC was low 3.6, the Mono # & % were also low, but everything else was fine all within normal limits. I donated to the Red Cross about 6 weeks ago, so I know that the communicable diseases are not the reasons for my counts.

If I read low again and I know it's not from a virus or one of the communicable diseases the red cross tests for what am I looking at? Are there questions that I should be asking? Are there things I could be changing here at home to help get better counts by the next test? I'm scheduled to go to OB/GYN as well as to be tested for allergies to foods. Do you have any other areas I should be exploring in the meantime to have more information by my next appointment w/ my GP?

Thanks so much again for your help and the time you are putting into answering all these questions on the boards.

|