News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: AM I AT HIV OR LEUKEMIA RISK

pharmacyboy - Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 am

I am 23 year old man ,I made a general check up because i am lways obssesed with my health so i found wbc below than normal:
wbc: 3.2 ref (4.8-10.9)
Differential segmented% :38 ref(40-75)
count:1 ref(1.6-7)
Lymphocyte % :49.7 ref(15-45)
count: 1.61 ref(1-4.8)
Monocte,Basophil,Eosinophil within normal and RBC AND PLATLETS WITHIN NORMAL TOO.
I am virgin and i had not have any blood transfusion but i shook hand with a person folr like 2 minutes and i was afraid that he might transfered me the infection because i had a lot of mosquito bites and cloted blood on my hands ,,,do i have to worry about aids or what should i do?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:57 am

User avatar Hello Pharmacyboy,
Shaking hands with someone carries a very small risk of transfer of infections such as the common cold and other generally minor illness-related viruses. If you then put your hands in your mouth, it is possible you could catch that virus. This is not the way viruses such as AIDS and Hepatitis B or C are spread. These are contracted through deep body fluid exchange such as blood to blood or through sexual interaction. Leukemia is definitely not spread person to person at all.

If he were actually infected with a serious virus such as those and you had some kind of blood to blood transfer through shaking hands with this man as with a "blood brother" pact where blood crosses or you were in a health care setting and you were treating a seriously wounded hand but you were unprotected and had a small cut or open wound (a scab is not an open wound and mosquito bites are not a mode for entry), then there could be a small risk of infection.

Try not to worry about results of lab tests such as this, especially any that are near the reference range value. These tests are tools to help the doctor determine the cause for illness and to alert him/her to some underlying problem but they are only part of the picture. There are typically other symptoms to go along with the abnormal values that usually indicate disease. If there was an alarming value your doctor would have discussed it with you. They do not keep their patients in the dark about it.

If you find yourself obsessing about this, you could have another problem that might need attention. There are disorders that cause you to obsess about things to the point that these obsessions interfere with your daily activities, keeping you away from normal situations and interactions. I would discuss this concern with your doctor or mental health professional. An evaluation could uncover a problem that could be treated quite easily thereby avoiding it becoming a bigger issue for you in the future. I would recommend this type of psych evaluation. If it is not a problem for you, great; but if it is, you could avoid much unnecessary concern. We should be as concerned with mental health checkups as we are with physical exams.

Best wishes
 lovemom1 - Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Preview: Re: High Lymphocytes
3/9/09 BLOOD TEST 3/11/09
WBC...9.2 WBC...12.3
RBC...3.75 ---------------------------3.79
HEMOG...10.4 --------------------------10.5HEMAC...32.5 33
MCHC...31.9 31.9
RDW...22.9 22PLAT CNT...453 478]IRON
% SAT% 2.7 ABSOL LYMP # 5.2IRON...13 " EOSIN# .8TBIC...476 LYMP% 42.4
UIBC...463 EOSIN% 6.7FERRITAN..5.58
SED RATE....28
i AM A 38YR OLD (F). HAD MI ON 11/01/08. SEEING DR. FOR SEVERE FATIGUE.
RECEIVED IRON INFUSIONS FOR 4WKS. STILL SEVERELY FATIGUED,HAVE SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES IN NECK DOWN INTO CLAVICAL,ARMPIT AND GROIN. CONSTSNT NAUSIAW/OCCASIONAL VOMITING, LOSS OF APPETITE. HAD CT SCAN, DR SAID GLANDS WEREN'T LARGE ENOUGH FOR BIOPSY. HAD NEW BLOOD TEST AFT IRON
i AM ONLY INCLUDING THE ONES WITH FLAGS.
FLAGGED BETTER
RBC...3.76 FERRITAN....104-------
HEMOG...11.4 SAT%...15.2 -----AaLL LOOKS GOOD BUT
HEMAC...34.8 TBIC....309 FOR HOW LONG
RDW...26.8 IRON....47
AB LYMP3....4.3 UIBC....262
AB EOSIN#...1.0LYMPH%...45.3NEUTRO%...33.9EOSIN%10.9
THOSE TEST WERE A WK AFT IRON.MmY CONCERN IS SOME OF THE LEVELS HAVE BEEN HIGHER EACH TEST. DR HAS CAT SCAN AND MORE BLOOD TEST BUT NOT FOR 3 MO HOW CONCERENED SHOULD I BE???

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here