News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC

mama cherylnjerry - Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:21 am

I am a female aged 31. I am HIV negative. I have been having a blood count of 2.5 for over two months now, and I have been having a general feeling of sickness and fatigue. Is 2.5 low enough to worry me. Coult it be the resaons why i get recurrent UTI? I am also currently on treatment for genital warts. Could the warts be the cause for the low WBC wount?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm

User avatar Hi Mama Cherylnjerry,

There are a few reasons for low white blood cell counts. Most commonly it is due to a viral infection. I think this is likely unrelated to your UTI's or your genital warts. Neither of these would be expected to be a cause of a low WBC count or be caused by a low WBC count.

Having a low white blood cell count can predispose to some infections. This depends more one the actual amounts of the subtypes of white blood cells present. In particular if the neutrophils are low it can increase the risk of bacterial infections.

I would suggest you follow up with your doctor about this. You will likely need to have your CBC repeated soon to see if your WBC count is improving.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here