Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC

mama cherylnjerry - Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:21 am

I am a female aged 31. I am HIV negative. I have been having a blood count of 2.5 for over two months now, and I have been having a general feeling of sickness and fatigue. Is 2.5 low enough to worry me. Coult it be the resaons why i get recurrent UTI? I am also currently on treatment for genital warts. Could the warts be the cause for the low WBC wount?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm

User avatar Hi Mama Cherylnjerry,

There are a few reasons for low white blood cell counts. Most commonly it is due to a viral infection. I think this is likely unrelated to your UTI's or your genital warts. Neither of these would be expected to be a cause of a low WBC count or be caused by a low WBC count.

Having a low white blood cell count can predispose to some infections. This depends more one the actual amounts of the subtypes of white blood cells present. In particular if the neutrophils are low it can increase the risk of bacterial infections.

I would suggest you follow up with your doctor about this. You will likely need to have your CBC repeated soon to see if your WBC count is improving.

|