News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood results low hgb mcv

Emmac - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:39 am

Hi Im 28 yrs old, consider myself healthy, went to donate blood last week and was refused for the second time this year for low hgb, here are my results, could anybody tell me if anything is seriously wrong as I am petrified of visiting the doctor, thanks.

WBC 5.6 10^9/L
NE 48.1 %
LY 44.2 %
MO 5.0 %
EO 2.3 %
BA 0.4 %

NE # 2.7 10^9/L
LY # 2.5 10^9/L
MO # 0.3 10^9/L
EO # 0.1 10^9/L
BA # 0.0 10^9/L

RBC 4.52 10^12/L
HGB 10.5 g/dl
HCT 0.322 L/L
MCV 71.3 fl
MCH 23.3 pg
MCHC 32.6 g/dl
RDW 18.1 %

PLT 258 10^9/L
MPV 9.5 fL

Hope you can help
Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:59 pm

User avatar Hi Emmac,

Based on your HgB and HCT you are slightly anemic. In reviewing your results it appears that your MCV (red cell size measure) is low and your RDW (average of cell sizes) is high. This is consistent with iron deficiency anemia, one of the most common causes of anemia.

Your anemia is not severe and likely you are not noticing any symptoms from this although it can cause some fatigue.

It is actually a good idea for you to see your doctor. This way you can get a prescription for therapeutic iron replacement. Over-the-counter vitamins often don't have enough iron in them to replace stores.

Best wishes.
 Emmac - Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:25 am

Thankyou so much for such a quick reply, now I know there is nothing seriously wrong I can go to the doctor knowing what to expect.
Thankyou onnce again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 pm

User avatar My pleasure.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here