Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Tons of problems causing elevated rbC?

dubz - Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Hey, I'm a 21 year old male. I had my gallbladder out when i was 12 (and woke up with an intense pain in chest/back that comes every 5 months) and been diagnosed with IBS. I've also been told i had the beginning of a duodenal ulcer, but it was never treated.. (went on pantoloc for a week and then i got sick from it; so we stopped; but that was all). More importantly, I've had insomnia (i wake up 3-6 times a night regularly for the last few years). Its been better and less frequent but still happens around 3 or 4 times a week because i've been waking up at the same time each day. I've had a sleep study but couldnt fall asleep so i have to go back for one. I also found out that my "spleen is slightly bulky in apperance and measures up to 12.6cm. THis is the upper limits of normal to borderline enlarged". I also had a tonsillectomy in july.

The reason im posting here is cuz of two recent blood tests and symtpoms im not sure what theyre from and it has gotten me worried.

Everything was normal except my RBC (6.28), Hematocrit (.51), MCH (26.8) and i ate that morning if that makes any difference. My doctor didnt acknowledge this and said everyhting was fine but he gave me a copy of the records and i notcied this. I also had a blood test a few weeks before at a naturopath who told me my RBC was a little high but that was all she said.

Beginning of August, i started to get really itchy at nighttime, and then it dissipated and was replaced with boiling hot feelings in my face at random times and my ears get red. I was also getting sore feelings on the sides of my stomach not simultaneously (not sure if it was indigestion or not), I get faint when i stand up to fast from lying down to the point where i grab on teh wall (my b pressure is normal), and my right middle finger goes white /numb when its cold.

Could this all be stress from previous probllems and inadequate sleep? Please help. I'm going to try a new doctor as well.
 dubz - Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:48 pm

Oh and i don't smoke or drink.. I use to smoke weed and drink but that was a few years ago. I also dealt with anxiety/depression two years ago. (Effexor 150mg)
 dubz - Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm

and i forgot to mention, im approximately 5'11 - 166lbs.
The itching was cleared by the dermatologist - have no bumps or redness etc.

|