Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: abnormal blood test results...cause for concern?

mom2two - Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:45 am

I started noticing a rash on my legs about 6 weeks ago. I tried over the counter meds which didn't work. Then about 3 weeks ago I started bruising in the same area as the rash, but the rash had started spreading to my arms and torso areas and they also started bruising.
I finally got worried and went to the dermatologist who mildly treated the rash, but was concerned about the bruising and ordered some blood work.
They called me a few days later and said it had nothing to do with dermatology, that my lab work came back abnormal and that I needed to go to the ER no later than tomorrow to have everything checked by a doctor more experienced in these matters.
So the next day I went to the ER thinking the worst and they started by repeating the same blood test. The ER doc walked back in the room and said...well, everything is fine...everything was normal and sent me home with different, stronger meds than the dermatologist. I finally got out of a nurse what the results were and this is all I know (of the first abnormal results)
platelet count was high
AST was high
ALP was high
RDW was high

Should I be concerned about the different results?
Should I get another blood test retaken?
Should I be concerned abouth the first results and what do they indicate?

Please let me know so I can go from here.

Thank You
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:07 pm

User avatar Hi!

It would be best to get hold of your workup results and consult with your doctor if at all any results are abnormal. Anything beyond getting hold of your lab results might border on speculation.

Hope this helps.

bill
 mom2two - Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:58 am

What I listed as high is what they have told me over the phone after pulling teeth, practically.
I have been so tired lately, that the 45 min. drive to this dr. office just for the piece of paper was just not worth it. But I have a dr. appt. on Monday to follow up with all this and I am going to demand another blood test, repeating every test that they took originally.
I was just wondering if these results alone could give anyone an idea of what it might have been, especially treated as though getting to the hosp. the next day was life or death, and the er doc. was understanding and said he did the right thing, was very nonchalant about the results he got, but no reason why there would be such a difference in the same test 2 days apart with no medication in between. I just confused about how that could happen and concerned that they should have done more to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:10 pm

User avatar Hi!

The reason I advised to get hold of the results is because it would be helpful if the exact values are known, and in all probabilities it's the ALT and not ALP that's raised. Lab results in itself maybe difficult to interpret without the clinical history and examination findings. On top of that, if the report itself is by way of mouth, much is left to assumption.

AST and ALT are liver enzymes that get raised when the liver is affected in any way, including alcohol and drugs. The RDW in itself leaves little to work on without obtaining the rest of the blood count results, especially the MCV.

Lab results are subject to variations depending on the method and expertise involved. They are not strictly delineated values that remain constant. They can change from individual to individual, and from time to time in the same individual, depending on the internal milieu of the human body.

Hope this helps.

bill

|