News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood clot concern with contraception, post chemo

agrosjean - Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Hello,

I'm a 28 year old female. 3 years ago I finished chemotherapy treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. At the end of treatment, a clot was discovered and determined to be a result of my portacath.

I stopped using birth control when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's. Now I would like to return to using birth control. I understand that birth control increases blood clot risk - however since my clot was associated with the portacath, am I low risk? I've asked this question of both my family doctor and my oncologist and they don't seem to think it's a concern. It's a unique situation though and I'd like another opinion.

If I developed a clot once (regardless of cause), am I not automatically at higher risk for clotting?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
Having a history of blood clots, regardless of the cause, does increase your risk. There is some reason you developed a clot when millions of others with the same situation do not. You could be prone to developing them, then once you get a stimulus (the catheter, oral contraceptives, etc.) you may do it again. I would stay away from this form of birth control. Perhaps an IUD could be considered? It is a decision to be made between you and your doctor but I would opt out.

Let me know if you have other questions but this is my opinion.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here