Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Phlebitis

FibroCAK - Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 pm

I developed phlebitis on the top of my hand and wrist after an IV for a colonoscopy....it's been about a month now...there's a 1 1/2" section of vein on the top of my wrist that is hard as a rock, and a 1" section on the back of my hand that is very sore & the clot seems to move around....nothing seems to be making it better.....can this cause a problem or does it take a while to go away?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Yes, it can take a while for the problem to resolve completely and soreness to go away and I can't tell you exactly how long that will be for you. Applying heat to the area may help your symptoms and some doctors recommend taking an anti-inflammatory medication.

|