Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Pain in outter thigh that comes and goes

KyoChan - Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 pm

I have a pain in my outer thigh, on my left leg. If you were to put both hands, fingertip to palm, starting at the knee, it would be about where the second palm is. Since last night is has been an off and on pain. Like if some one was poking you really hard. It's not swollen, not discolored, and you can't feel any definite lumps, but it does hurt when you touch it. Also seems to hurt if I sit a certain way, or if my 13lb daughter sits on my lap a specific way. If it is during a time when the pain is there, tensing my thigh seems to not help, but it does not hurt if I flex my foot. I am worried about a blood clot, and my grandfather died from pulmonary embolism. Being a hypochondriac with anxiety (A few might laugh at that, but it really is debilitating) does not make me feel any better. What do you think? Could it be a blood clot, or maybe just a pinched nerve?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:27 pm

Is it possible you have bruised it, even though there is no visible mark? My first thought would not be blood clot which usually presents with redness, swelling, pain and warmth. You could have something like fibromyalgia where your muscles are sore for no apparent reason.

If it continues, any chronic pain should be checked out by a doctor.

|