News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Extremely low Lymphocyte levels

kgc26 - Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Hello,

Although the physician that saw me didn't seem to worry about it, I am getting myself pretty stressed out reading about the different reason why my lymphocyte levels are so low. I have been feeling pretty terrible for the past 4 months, weight gain of 15 lbs, new high blood pressure of 165/105 (have been put on a diuretic), and just a general sense of feeling lousy. I am a 30 year old female, with two children 6 yrs and 3 yrs. Here are my recent lab results. Doctor's seem baffled as to what if anything is wrong with me. Hoping someone here might be able to help. Thanks. Just reporting mostly on odd numbers (others numbers in normal ranges)

Hematology
*These were taken when I had the stomach flu and had just started my diuretics (for high blood pressure), and became severely dehydrated.

Neutrophil 8.4 (High)
Lymphocyte 0.3 (Extremely Low) **3 days before my levels were 1.8

Endo and Tumor Markers
Renin 17.6 ng/L
Aldosterone 553 pmol/L
TSH 4.475 mlU/L
Microalbumin, U 29.9 mg/L
Microalb/creatine 9.1 mg/mmol creatine (HIGH)

Enzymes and Cardiac Markers
Liapase, S 15 U/L (Low)

Urine Chemistry
Urine Leukocytes 15 cells/uL

Thanks. I also had an abdominal ultrasound that didn't sho anything significant. Although, I am being treated for a peptic ulcer.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
Normal values for while blood cell and its elements are:

White blood cells :4,500-10,000 /mcl.
Neutrophils: 40% to 60%
Lymphocytes: 20% to 40%
Monocytes: 2% to 8%
Eosinophils: 1% to 4%
Basophils: 0.5% to 1%
Band: 0% to 3%

The most common cause of lymphopenia is recent infection like common cold. All types of infections can result in lymphopenia like bacterial and fungal infections. Your total leukocyte count although high is still in the normal range and this is also seen in cases of infections.

Other causes include, severe stress, connective tissue disorders and some medications are also known to cause lymphopenia like steroids.

The rest of the results you have provided seems to be within the normal range and to me are not indicative of any abnormal or serious condition.

You have mentioned that you did the test while suffering from viral infection which makes your results not alarming. As your doctor advised another follow up test after recovery without any need for further investigations is usually satisfactory.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here