News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC High Lymphocytes

sunair2002 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:59 pm

I did my annual blood test in Jan -
WBC 2.4L
RBC 3.72L
Lymphocytes 51.1H
MCH 33.5H
Absolute Neutrophils 826L
Absolute Lumphocytes 1226 (normal).

My dr. ordered a second CBC to be done in May, saying that I might be having a viral infection (cold or flu) when I took my blood test in Jan. I remember that my children were sick during that time. So I might have caught it from them. But I'm still concerned if it could be some type of leukemia as my WBC was really low. Please advise.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 pm

User avatar Hello Sunair2002,

The most likely cause, by far, is that you had some viral suppression of your bone marrow. This is very, very common and occurs with many viral infections. Recovery is the rule.

Unless you are having other symptoms concerning for leukemia (weight loss, night sweats, pain in your bones, etc.) the best thing is to simply have it repeated in May. I'm confident it will be normal then.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here