News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Anemia, Diabetes or chlamydia?

casweetheart - Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:13 pm

I went to urget care the other day to figure out if my symptoms were pregnancy. The pregnancy test came out negative so we searched for what else it could be. The symptoms are as below:
Morning Nausia
Extreme Fatigue
Light Headedness
etc...

The Doctor did a lot of tests on me and said that It coudl either be that I'm Anemic, Diabetic, or have Chlamydia. He siad that he was very doubtful that I would have Chlamydia but he was going to check my blood for that anyway just in case. Now, I won't be getting the results for a few days unles it's something serious. So I was wondering, what can I do in the meantime to battle this extreme fatigue and tiredness? I was wondering, what are the best foods and drinks to be having if I'm Anemic or Diabetic? I looked online, and the symptoms look a lot like Iron Deficiency Anemia. I noticed that I do feel a little better after I eat and if I don't drink so much tea (I drink a lot of tea every day). I had cream of wheat for breakfast and I feel better than I did this morning. I'm still tired but not even as close as I was this morning. If you have any advise, please let me know.
Thanks!
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:20 pm

User avatar Dear Casweetheart:
Unfortunately there is no quick cure for any of the possibilites the doctor mentioned. For anemia you could take a multivitamin with high iron content or a tablet of Ferrous Sulfate(iron) which you can obtain at the pharmacy. Eating a good amount of dark green leafy vegetables will help increase your iron consumption also. It takes several weeks before you will show an improvement. If you are diabetic you will show a high blood sugar level. Normal is in the range of 80-120 (some labs show normal as 70-110). Eating foods low in sugar content at regular intervals can control your blood sugar to prevent it from dropping too low and causing feelings of tiredness. Treatment of chlamydia requires an antibiotic which the doctor needs to prescribe.
So, all in all there are no fast cures here and no doubt the results from your lab work will be in before you will be ascertain the problem yourself. It won't hurt you though to continue to eat healthy in the meantime and especially if it makes you feel better.
Thanks for using The Doctor's Lounge,
Carolyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here