Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: 19 month old with elevated lymphocytes??

kerrilynn01 - Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:59 pm

My son is 19 months old and his last 5 CBC's have been abnormal. He wasn't even sick 2 of the 5 times he had CBC. His lymphocytes are elevated. Last time (a month ago) they were at 81%. Today he had CBC differential done and his lymphocytes were at 74%. They did a peripheral blood smear last time but his platelets clumped so they did another one today. I'm worried about my little guy. What could be wrong with him?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:08 pm

User avatar Hello Kerrilynn01,

By far, the most common reason for this is continued viral infections. Children this age average about 12 viral infections per year, almost all of them grouped in the winter. Because of this, these children tend to go from one cold to the next.

There are other causes of this. In particular, it is important to be sure that it is actually the lymphocytes that are high and not the neutrophils that are low. The percentages given are percentages of the overall white blood cell count. A drop in one cell line will result in an increase in the others.

If there is a thought that your son may still have a viral infection and there are no other concerning symptoms it may be worthwhile repeating the CBC in a few weeks. If there is concern about something else that may be going on I would recommend your son be evaluated by a hematologist (a blood specialist).

|