News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: MTHFR and Factor V

mlamb331 - Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:07 am

Hi,

I am 36 years old and 6 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have 2 copies of MTHFR A1298C. My homocysteine level was 4.7 in Dec. 2007. I have been tested for Factor V Leiden and according to the results, it says that I am negative for the R506Q mutation, but that this does not rule out other mutations within the Factor V gene. What does that mean???

My fertility doctor has me taking 1 baby aspirin a day and also folamin (I'm not sure what the dosage is, but I take 2 peach-colored pills a day). My 2 questions are: 1. Do I need more testing for Factor V Leiden? 2. Are the pills I am taking now sufficient to help sustain this pregnancy or should I be taking lovenox or some other blood thinner?

I appreciate your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 am

User avatar Hello,
I understand your anxiety about this. I do not know enough about the specific mutations related to this condition. However, the baby aspirin is typical in cases where there is increased risk of blood clot. It seems like such a little thing and aspirin seems so basic, but really it is an amazing drug. If you had a history of DVT or other clots already, perhaps they would feel more intervention might be indicated but under the circumstances, this is a good course of action and would likely not be any different if they did have more information about the specific possible variants that are possible with Factor V.

By the way, clotting factors are implicated in miscarriage in only rare cases. Most miscarriages occur in perfectly healthy women with no risks at all - merely luck of the draw. It is suspected that most are caused by embryos which are defective and cannot survive. When you think about everything which must come together perfectly for pregnancy to occur, implantation and development to progress, it's a wonder it happens as easily and often as it does.

Good luck to you as this miracle of pregnancy progresses.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here