Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Difficulty Breathing After Blood Donation

Cheerbabe131120 - Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 pm

I am 18 years old and i just recently started donating blood. Well, every time i donate blood, it is extremely hard for me to breathe for up to two days after. Even standing becomes a task and my heart pounds and i get dizzy. What could cause this and is this a major concern?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is possible dehydration. This is the reason they offer beverages following donation and tell you to increase your fluid intake for the next 24 hours. If you are giving frequently I would recommend allowing more time between donations. I assume your hematocrit (iron) is OK or they would reject you for donation.

When you donate, eat and drink well the day of the donation and follow up as directed with extra fluids. Avoid strenuous activities for several hours following to allow your body full recovery. You need to let your body make more blood so give it a chance.

There is nothing in the process of procuring the blood that should cause these symptoms unless you are psychologically affected and this could happen. Some people faint just thinking about donating. Good luck

|