News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Difficulty Breathing After Blood Donation

Cheerbabe131120 - Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 pm

I am 18 years old and i just recently started donating blood. Well, every time i donate blood, it is extremely hard for me to breathe for up to two days after. Even standing becomes a task and my heart pounds and i get dizzy. What could cause this and is this a major concern?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
The only thing that comes to mind is possible dehydration. This is the reason they offer beverages following donation and tell you to increase your fluid intake for the next 24 hours. If you are giving frequently I would recommend allowing more time between donations. I assume your hematocrit (iron) is OK or they would reject you for donation.

When you donate, eat and drink well the day of the donation and follow up as directed with extra fluids. Avoid strenuous activities for several hours following to allow your body full recovery. You need to let your body make more blood so give it a chance.

There is nothing in the process of procuring the blood that should cause these symptoms unless you are psychologically affected and this could happen. Some people faint just thinking about donating. Good luck

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here