Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: lymphopenia?

arnold - Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm a 36-yr old male with general good health, but I'm really worried about my blood test results, specifically my lymphocytes. 15months ago, my CBC diff showed lymphocytes at 1750. 6months ago, they were at 1112. Yesterday they were at 853. In all of these tests, everything else has been normal. But I am extremely scared about this decreasing lymphocyte count. I've read in one place that <1500 is abnormal, and in another that <1000 is abnormal. However, the reference range listed for my lab is and has been 850-3900. So should I not worry about the <1500 or <1000 numbers I read elsewhere, and base my condition only on the lab's ref range? If so, and I am technically within normal range in this lab, how concerned should I be about the fact that the levels have been dropping over the last 15months, although always within normal?

I've been generally healthy over this time although I went through a few colds between yesterday's test and the one 6months ago...but as far as this recent test, I don't think I've been sick for a few weeks at least.

I currently take vytorin 10/20, fluoxetine 40, fish oil, and psyllium fiber daily.

Any advice would be much appreciated...my doctor doesn't seem concerned since I'm not out of the normal range, but I'm scared since I seem so low by most accounts and because it has been slowly dropping.

Thanks,
Arnold
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello arnold -

This normal range business can be a real bugbear for a lot of people, and since you've looked into it and know what some of the ranges are (your lab's normal range is the same as the one I'm familiar with and you're in there) you will just want to follow this over a period of time, perhaps in six months, unless you should develop some new and untoward symptoms. While you have seen a consistent drop, and this is of interest to an inquiring mind, it really doesn't mean anything until you get outside normal limits, and most all of us do, in fact, swing wildly within normal limits (and sometimes just outside them, too). In short, I wouldn't worry, but since you've done some reading and the "don't worry" advice probably won't stick, I suggest following up as I said earlier, in a few months, to see where you are at that time. And in the meantime, again as I've already said, barring any remarkable symptoms (you're allowed to catch cold), try to not worry about it.

I hope this helps ease your mind somewhat. Good luck to you and please do stay in touch.

|