News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Lots of abnormal levels in my blood work...please help me!!!

luvumason - Thu May 22, 2008 10:28 am

Hi, I recently had some lab work done and I called to see about the results and the nurse told me that I could come pick up a copy. After I looked them over I noticed that there were quite a few things that came back abnormal so, I called and asked if the doctor could discuss it with me and they said he said I have to wait until my next appointment which isn't until July 30th so, that's almost two months away! I am completely in the dark about all of this and trying to research but, I don't really know what I am doing. It came back as my AST being low at 13 with a normal range of 15-37, my alt being low at 29 with a normal range of 30-65, my osmolality calculated was low at 279 with a normal range of 285-295, my rbc low at 4.06 with a normal range of 4.20-5.40, my hematocrit being low at 35.9 with a normal range of37.0-47.0, my nuetrophil being high at 63.3 with a normal range of 42-62, my lymphocyte being low at 27.4 with a normal range of 37-47. If someone could please help me so I can figure all of this out it would be a great relief to me!!!
Thanks,
luvumason
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm

User avatar Hello -

While your lab results could mean something -- or nothing -- none of them were what's known as a "critical result" which would require immediate or even urgent attention. Nothing is very far from normal, and, in fact, almost all of them are just barely outside normal limits. This could, as I said earlier, mean something, although I feel it's a little bit odd that every component is just a hair off. There is definitely nothing crucial going on, so please don't panic over this. It happens. Usually when it does the whole thing is repeated. If it still comes out the same, then some detective work would be in order, of a sort that's beyond the scope of this site. We can't diagnose from a distance, and oftentimes can't even safely make a guess. What I can tell you is that everything looks OK enough that you can relax until the scheduled appointment. Sometimes its seems we're a lot better off not knowing about abnormalities that don't carry any specific significance to them. Try and be patient and not worry. There's a good chance nothing is wrong, and certainly nothing critical.

Good luck to you, and please follow up with us.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here