Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: factor II gene >99%...what does this mean???

luvumason - Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, I recently posted a question about some blood work that I had done and I forgot to add that on one of my labs it says
DNA analysis of the factor II gene was performed by PCR amplification followed by restriction analysis. The diagnostic sensitivity is >99% for both. What does this mean???? On the page before it says
Factor II DNA analysis G20210A
Factor II DNA analysis
no mutation identified
So, seeing the 99% on the other page had me a little confused.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

What that "99% sensitivity" means is that the test is 99% accurate and has nothinig to do with the findings themselves. That is to say, it is not part of the finding, but merely a measure of the accuracy of the test. At 99% it is virtually absolute.

I hope this clarifies this for you.