Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: factor II gene >99%...what does this mean???

luvumason - Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, I recently posted a question about some blood work that I had done and I forgot to add that on one of my labs it says
Methodology:
DNA analysis of the factor II gene was performed by PCR amplification followed by restriction analysis. The diagnostic sensitivity is >99% for both. What does this mean???? On the page before it says
Factor II DNA analysis G20210A
Factor II DNA analysis
Negative
no mutation identified
So, seeing the 99% on the other page had me a little confused.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

What that "99% sensitivity" means is that the test is 99% accurate and has nothinig to do with the findings themselves. That is to say, it is not part of the finding, but merely a measure of the accuracy of the test. At 99% it is virtually absolute.

I hope this clarifies this for you.

|