News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: RBC elevated and hemoglobin and hematogrit almost bordering?

doodleb1977 - Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi there I wanted to see if these results need further investigation. The Dr's office faxed this to me today.
WBC 6.9 (normal range 3.8-10.8)
RBC 5.35 (normal range 3.80-5.10)
Hemoglobin 15.1 (normal range 11.7-15.5)
Hematocrit 14.4 (normal range 35.0-45.0)

All of my other bloodwork came back within range other than my Red Blood Count and my Glucose was 105 (normal range was up to 99)
and my HDL was 36 and i believe greater than 46 was normal range)

I am a non-smoker, do not drink, altitude is about 800-1200 above sea level, I am overweight, 181 lbs, female, my total cholestrol is only 141 my ldl is 81, I do eat healthy.

Do you think this is unusually high? thank you so kindly :)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:48 am

User avatar Hello -

The hematology part looks fine (the RBC is just a tiny bit above normal range, but not enough to really matter), except for the hematocrit, which is markedly low, suggesting anemia.

The glucose, at 105, is fine. I am troubled at the newly lowered glucose "normal" limits, which, if they get much lower, would have us all be hypoglycemic. The HDL is lower than desireable, but not out of normal range. (Desired is 40 to 50). Since your total cholesterol is so very low, and your LDL so low, you should be fine with the lower HDL, which is at least in balance with the total lipds.

Other than the rather low hematocrit I'd be very happy with the results. I hope your doctor is looking at possible causes for the anemia, and I can't help but wonder if this wasn't a typo or lab error, since it is out of line with the other parts of the CBC.

Hope this helps clarify things for you. Follow up with us as needed.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:34 pm

User avatar Hello,

I agree with John, your results are reassuring apart from the hematocrit percent which as he mentioned could be an error.

I would like also to add some information about anemia.
The diagnosis of anemia is primarily made by the finding of low hemoglobin level (in grams per deciliter) and/or RBC number × 10[12] L. The hematocrit (in percent) is measured together with other parameters to classify types of anemia.

Of these parameters:
- The average blood cell volume (MCV) (82-98); values above and below this range indicate macrocytic and microcytic anemia, respectively.

- The reticulocyte count (N:40,000-100,000 /muL of blood) is very important to determine the need for bone marrow examination; normal or elevated reticulocytic counts indicate adequate bone marrow function and extrinsic cause for the anemia.

- The hematocrit is almost about three times the measured hemoglobin value.
The microcytic hypochromic anemia is usually due to deficient hemoglobin synthesis in cases of iron deficiency anemia and the anemia of chronic disease. While macrocytic anemia is commonly due to B12 and folic acid deficiency.

- A peripheral blood smear should be also examined.

Hope you find this information useful.
I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:06 pm

User avatar Thanks, Dr. Mahmoud -

It's always nice when an MD can follow up with more in-depth information. Much appreciated.

John

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here