News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: BLOOD TEST SAID I HAD ABNORMAL ALK. PHOS <3 L HELP!!!!!!!!!!

GUIDOTEJEDA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:55 pm

ALK. PHOS of <3L

Everything ails on the normal spectrum per the chart in the left of the blood test sheet.
I started to look it up online and started to freak out (liver problems, bone problems)
Would taking multivitamins the night before have made that blood test have that outcome?

HummanaOne said to go to my DR. But my Insurance expired the day that I made the active date for the new policy and it took them 2 wks to get the results back. I would like to request a re-blood test but reading on the net made me a bit scared and would like a bit of clarification on what I am possibly dealing with. HEPL!!!!!

Would be willing to Email test results for review.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 am

User avatar Hello,

Alkaline phosphatase ALP is an enzyme mainly synthesized in the liver and bone and to a lesser extent in the intestines and kidneys. During pregnancy the placenta becomes another source for LAP.

Normal level in adults is in the range of 20 to 140 IU/L (international units per liter).

Very high levels of ALP are seen in heptobilliary disorders, like hepatitis, fatty liver, cirrhosis, gallstones,and cancer. Levels are aslo high in bone diseases and during the healing of a bone fracture.

Infections, certain types of anemia and endocrine problems may raise ALP level. Medications that have an effect on the liver may also cause elevation in ALP level like some antibiotics, oral antidiabetics, birth control pills, analgecis, and antidepressants.

Low levels are commonly seen in patients with chronic diseases that result in malnutrition and low protien levels. Low levels are also seen in individuals with high Vitamine D level or low Vitamine C level as well as hypomagnesemia.

It is important to refer your results to the normal range of the lab where the test was done.

A single abnormal test in otherwise normal clinical and laboratory findings, makes repeating the test reasonable.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to avoid any medications before doing the test.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here