News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Bloot test result - what does it mean???

valleygirl73 - Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:45 am

Hi, I am a 31 years old mother of two. I went to the doctors for routine blood work with my physical and everything was fine, but the doctor did ask me whether I had alcohol the night before the testing (which I didnt). She said one of the red blood test results came a tad higher than normal and not to worry. After I left I was interested in what this was all about? Any ideas?
 Dr. A. Saif - Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:08 pm

User avatar Hi ValleyGirl,

Hmm, very interesting, a "red blood test higher than normal", related to alcohol consumption. Not much clue here unless we know exactly what test we are talking about...but I would guess that perhaps it may be the MCV...or the Mean Corpuscular Volume. If this is raised, it means that the average red blood cell size in your blood is slightly bigger. Red blood cells can be bigger if the the person is a long term drinker, not necessarily just the night before...but perhaps my other learned coleagues can help here. Red blood cells can also be bigger with some vitamin deficiency, notably B12 and Folate, or some blood disorders...but I would certainly be interested in what specific test we are looking at here...

Regards

Saif

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here