News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC and High Monocytes

lcnewbie98 - Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Blood test results showed:
WBC 3200
monocytes 11

I've received this same result several times over the past year and a half. I have asthma and am experiencing burning in my chest that has been there for a while (more than normal).
What could be going on with me?
Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 pm

User avatar Hello -

Your WBC is low, which indicates a mild leukopenia; normal monocytes are between 4 and 10 per cent of the WBC. Your results show a chronic leukopenia, which could indicate a chronic viral infection (less likely with the passage of time), connective tissue disease/autoimmune problems, diseases of the bone marrow, and use of certain medications. It is impossible to know, without knowing more of your history, which may be the case -- or if it may be some other thing entirely.

You should be followed by your internist or, if there is a diagnosis other than notation of the abnormal lab findings, appropriate treatment. If there were a definite diagnosis I have to assume you'd be under treatment for something now, so my best guess is your doctor is simply following this mild abnormality and hasn't been able to assign it a cause. So long as there are no associated symptoms the best strategy is to continue follow up.

I hope this is helpful. If there are any additonal facts you may have left out, please follow up with us here. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here