News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: IgG subclass testing

SoylentGreenie - Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi! I wasn't sure where to put this and figured it was bloodwork so I put it here.

I'm trying to understand my Immunoglobulin testing. The bloodwork was done by the same lab and blood was taken at the same time for both tests.

Immunoglobulins (G, A, M)
IgG 750 (694-1618)
IgA 84 (81-463)
IgM 172 (48-271)

IgG Subclass 1 297L (382-929)
IgG Subclass 2 454 (241-700)
IgG Subclass 3 57 (22-178)
IgG Subclass 4 9.6 (4.0-86)

I'd asked the doc who ordered these tests about the results and he just said they weren't important and went onto the next subject. (then why run the testing?).

Saw another doc and he said these results were useless because the IgG subclass numbers didn't equal the total IgG.

Would someone mind clarifying this for me? Thanks!
 SoylentGreenie - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 am

I contacted the lab that ran the testing. They said the total IgG and the total for IgG subclasses will very seldom be the same because of differences in testing methodology.

So there ya go. Hope this can help someone else. :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here