Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low blood levels of vitamin D

jazzmynn - Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:47 am

I recently ad an extensive set of blood work by my endocrinologist.
I have been very tired lately, and have felt depressed.
My blood work came back showing me having a very low level of vitamin D.
The doctor wants me to take Caltrate calcium plus D, Centrum multivitamins, and a 1,000mg vitamin D supplement.
I am going to be taking over 2000mg of vitamin D plus whatever calcium is besides that.
My concern is that I have one kidney and I am concerned that I will be on too much of these supplements.

Can low levels of vitamin D cause my symptoms and what is your opinion about the doses?

I see my nephrologist in a couple weeks so I can ask him too.

Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Precipitation of calcium in the kidney and the formation of renal stones that subsequently cause renal damage is a known complication from excess calcium intake.

The kidney excretes the waste products from our bodies and dissolves them in water. So, the key point is to maintain an adequate amount of water in the urine to avoid crystallizations and stone formation. The most common stones formed in the kidney are calcium oxalates.

In a study of thousands of women on calcium supplements, investigators found that a high intake of dietary calcium reduces the risk of kidney stones but supplemental calcium increases the risk unless it is taken with meals, particularly oxalate containing meals.

When calcium is taken with food, some of it will bind to oxalate in the intestine inhibit its absorption, so less will reach the urine to form a stone. Plus if calcium is taken without food, more calcium absorption occurs and stone formation will be more likely.

Symptoms suggestive of concentrated urine and or high level of solutes in urine are frequency and irritation or pain while urinate (dysuria).

I advise you to follow up with your doctor; he might recommend urine analysis, blood tests for calcium and vitamin D levels. Accordingly, he will determine the proper amount and types of supplements you need.

Please keep us updated.

|