News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Sphereocytosis and Jaundice - how to differentiate

Chemtan - Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 am

Hi,

I'm a pt of Hereditary sphereocytosis and have gone through splenectomy+chloesystectomy in single sitting in 2004. I have follow observations and questions:

1. My billirubin remains higher than 1 and my eye color is also yellow (sometime get pale yellow when I have constipation) - Why does it increase and decrease and specifically why is it related to constipation? Any advice on having a control on this?

2. As my billirubin is already high, how will I know if I have developed jaundice or not? I mean the jaundice that represent liver function disorder.

3. I was not administered with any vaccination other then pneumococcal - is there any other medication\vaccination that must be done?

Thanks,
Tanveer
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Vaccination against pneumococcal organisms and H influenzae type b are essential in postsplenectomy patients. A conjugated-C meningococcus & Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccinations is given for those who did not receive this vaccine earlier.

The Pneumococcal vaccine is repeated every six years, while each year (winter) influenza vaccine is given.

Splenectomy results in marked improvement in symptoms of patients with spherocytosis and is curative in most of the cases. However, in the uncommon autonomic recessive variant of HS mild form of haemolysis may occur that results in mild elevation in billirubin.

Post cholecystectomy complications and exclusion of bile duct obstruction should be done to exclude obstructive jaundice. US of the abdomen may be an initial helpful test.

Your observation that increase in the yellowish coloration of the sclera occurs after constipation needs to be confirmed by lab tests and it could be just a coincidence.

You may notice increase in the bilirubin level by deepening of the yellowish discoloration, the presence of dark urine or changes in the colour of the stool based on the type of jaundice.

It would be more helpful if you can inform us about the exact bilirubin level in the last tests and its two main forms (direct, indirect). CBC and blood smear would be of help to exclude haemolysis. Yellowish discoloration of skin and sclera usually occurs when bilirubin is 2 or more. Liver enzymes and hepatitis markers may be needed.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him all your concerns.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here