Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood type mistake *twice*

sugarmom - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am

I was looking through some old medical records when I found a birth summary sheet from my second child. Blood type was noted as A+. This is the *second* time my blood type was typed as an A+. The first time was when I miscarried my first child. I am O+. I find this very strange and scary that my blood type has twice been typed wrong. Thankfully, I never needed any blood products both times. Any ideas?? Oh, and they were typed at two different facilities.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Are you saying your blood was listed as A+ or the baby's blood was A+? This would make a difference. But, if you were mistyped, the encouraging thing is that if you ever received a blood transfusion there would be extra cautions and testing done (type and crossmatch) to be sure you are safe. I don't know the reason for the error if it was your blood recorded and not that of your baby here.

Are you certain that you are O+ or was that the erroneous typing? It would be good to follow up and check your records. If and when you needed a transfusion in the future, be sure to ask them (or have your next of kin) what type blood they are bringing in to you. Of course this would only be helpful if you are absolutely certain of your type and the accuracy of that screening.

If you donate blood, you would receive a card indicating your blood type.

|